Patricia Pichardo on what introduced her to HealthSherpa, her ardour for activism and social affect, and what her typical day seems to be like
HealthSherpa strongly believes in creating inclusive, equitable areas, which construct belief, respect and a way of belonging which can be essential to our tradition and work. We’re excited to function our colleagues and listen to extra about their experiences at HealthSherpa, from their first touchpoints all the way in which as much as their tenure and development. On this publish, hear from Vice President of Product Administration Patricia Pichardo, who opens up about why she mentioned sure to HealthSherpa, her private journey to mission-driven work, and what her day-to-day seems to be like.
I’ve been at HealthSherpa for nearly 2 months now. There was an acquisition at my final firm, and it led to plenty of change; it opened my eyes to exterior alternatives. I began getting pinged lots by recruiters and there have been attention-grabbing jobs opening up. I’d labored in liquor instantly earlier than HealthSherpa; however earlier than that, I’d labored in a mission-driven surroundings, and I actually missed that mission connectivity.
So once I began exploring new alternatives, what actually made HealthSherpa stand out was the mission, and the chance to do what I do professionally to usher some good into the world.
Personally, when Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico in 2017, I discovered myself advocating for Puerto Ricans within the diaspora – it actually awoke one thing inside me. With pals and different volunteers, we had been in a position to take action a lot – we helped individuals get out of the Island, helped feed youngsters who had been going with out meals, helped individuals get entry to primary wants.
After this expertise, I began fascinated about different points that weren’t essentially instantly impacting one thing that I used to be near. So when Sarah (Ahn, Senior Recruiter) reached out to me about this function at HealthSherpa, it felt like a complete match for me. How would I get higher if I acquired sick, and I didn’t have satisfactory insurance coverage? That may be a actual challenge, an actual downside. And HealthSherpa is fixing it – and it’s a worthwhile firm, with a dedication to range, fairness and inclusion. It was a complete no-brainer to say sure to speak about this function.
There have been a number of issues that stood out to me:
- The human contact. I’d labored with good recruiters earlier than, however at HealthSherpa, it wasn’t simply the recruiter. Sarah launched me to the following particular person, who introduced the identical nice contact and humanity to the method. It was clear that the recruiter and the hiring supervisor shared the identical values, and that there was clear intention informing the method.
- The candor. Sarah and all the individuals on the interview group had been very candid with me about what the actual issues had been, the actual wants had been, and what the precise actuality at HealthSherpa appeared like.
- The belief. The group trusted one another in a really implicit method. Later within the course of, I acquired to fulfill a few of my teammates, friends and direct stories. The conversations felt natural and real with the group as properly. It didn’t really feel just like the group was being evaded the method; they requested questions (and vice versa), and it confirmed me that the recruiter and hiring supervisor positioned plenty of belief within the group, too – and from the conversations, it felt clear that the belief existed in each instructions.
So, not solely are they human, and candid, however they belief one another. They really feel actually snug about one another’s positions. Once I spoke to George (Chief Govt Officer), he mentioned that he didn’t have to assess whether or not I’d be a superb product chief – that was Cat’s (Chief Product Officer) job. He simply needed to determine whether or not I’d be a superb match for the corporate basically, and to supply the chance to ask questions of one other co-founder who wasn’t managing this function.
I get up within the morning and work out at the least 3x/week earlier than beginning the day. After this, I sit down and have some quiet time. I spend time planning my day, establishing my conferences, and making certain that I’m arrange for achievement for the remainder of the day. I normally have conferences after that – roughly 2-4hrs of conferences per day, and 2-4 hrs of quiet time, whether or not pre-planned or ad-hoc.
It’s an important combination of collaboration, listening in, and asking the precise questions and ensuring that we’re ready to make the precise choices. Often my day ends with a gathering – a 1:1 with my supervisor or a direct report, or a company-wide assembly. I’d thought that this may really feel odd as a result of I used to spend time on the finish of the day by myself, however I’ve discovered this actually energizing. There’s additionally a lot to study – I go away the day virtually day by day feeling energized and like I’m studying. I go away the times very glad.
I’ve realized that there are issues that we take with no consideration, that aren’t as simple as they appear. Everybody is aware of about healthcare; no one goes via life while not having it, with out collaborating on this system indirectly. There may be a lot to study as a shopper – and it’s unusual to consider this, as a result of it’s one thing primary, regular, wanted, and important. You will get sick in some unspecified time in the future, and also you will inevitably want healthcare.
So, studying the complexities of the house is absolutely necessary. There are issues that you just may suppose are easy and you discover out that they’re really very difficult. I’ve been approaching plenty of this with humility, and counting on the those who I’ve been working with to assist me get on board. I 100% should depend on my teammates to organize me and maintain me up once I make errors.
I might say two issues:
- Should you’re fascinated about working right here, don’t suppose twice. You need to positively discover alternatives with us, and apply whenever you see one thing that might be a superb match for you.
- For somebody who isn’t so positive about HealthSherpa, for no matter motive – think about the place you might be and the affect you make the place you might be, after which think about the potential affect you might make engaged on one thing that may assist resolve such an enormous downside. There’s nothing that feels higher than doing a job you get pleasure from, and figuring out the way it will profit individuals in an enormous method.
Need to work with Patricia and the remainder of our phenomenal group? Click on right here to discover present openings and listen to from extra teammates at HealthSherpa!