Florida Begins New Period with Main Property Insurance coverage Reforms
For the fourth time since 2019, the Florida Legislature has enacted property insurance coverage reforms aimed in direction of stabilizing a beleaguered insurance coverage market. The invoice, S.B. 2-A, creates a reinsurance help program, establishes further oversight for insurers with excessive volumes of hurricane claims, and reforms many facets of the claims course of, together with the timing for paying and adjusting claims. The reforms additional get rid of one-way legal professional payment awards to policyholders and ban assignment-of-benefits agreements. On this article, we are going to give attention to the modifications to the declare adjustment course of and protection and dangerous religion litigation.
Within the first spherical of property insurance coverage reforms in 2019, the Legislature established a pre-suit discover course of and two-way legal professional’s payment shifting in task of advantages (AOB) litigation in opposition to admitted carriers. Within the second spherical of property insurance coverage reforms, the Legislature established a process requiring pre-suit discover for policyholders. The second spherical of reforms additionally set stricter time limitations for giving discover of claims. Within the third spherical of property insurance coverage reforms, the Florida Legislature took a extra direct shot on the drawback and eradicated statutory legal professional payment shifting in fits introduced by assignees, created a statutory presumption in opposition to legal professional’s payment multipliers, and established a requirement that claimants show a breach of contract with a purpose to prevail on a declare for statutory dangerous religion in opposition to a property insurer. The brand new fourth spherical of reforms is mentioned intimately beneath.
No Statutory Legal professional’s Payment Shifting in Property Insurance coverage Litigation
The prior reforms tried to curb frivolous and extreme litigation by establishing a pre-suit discover course of and a sliding scale for legal professional’s payment awards primarily based on success within the lawsuit. However even with a diminished prospect for an award of legal professional’s charges, policyholders nonetheless had the leverage of uneven litigation. Giving a litigation benefit to at least one social gathering encourages extra litigation.
The Florida Legislature has now eradicated the statutory legal professional’s payment shifting in residential and business property lawsuits for each admitted and surplus traces carriers, including the next language to each Sections 627.428 and 626.9373: “In a swimsuit arising below a residential or business property insurance coverage coverage, there is no such thing as a proper to legal professional charges below this part.” The fee-shifting statutes stay in impact for different varieties of insurance coverage, and there may be nonetheless potential that policyholders get better legal professional’s charges by means of sanctions motions or proposals for settlement.
Adjustment of Claims
The brand new reforms cut back the time for insurers to problem undisputed funds. Part 626.9541, unfair strategies of competitors and unfair or misleading acts or practices, has been amended to scale back the time for which undisputed funds needs to be made. Undisputed funds should now be paid inside 60 days, down from 90 days, except cost of the undisputed advantages is prevented by components past the management of the insurer as outlined in Part 627.70131(5).
The Florida Legislature additionally made additional amendments to Part 627.70131, which can take impact on March 1, 2023. Adjustments embrace:
- Decreasing the time from 14 calendar days to 7 calendar days for insurers to evaluate and acknowledge receipt of communications, except cost is made inside that point or except the failure to acknowledge is brought on by components past the management of the insurer.
- Decreasing the time from 14 days to 7 days after the insurer acquired proof-of-loss statements for the insurer to start such investigation as is fairly crucial, except in any other case offered by the coverage or by regulation, or except the failure to start such investigation is brought on by components past the management of the insurer.
- Decreasing the time from 45 days to 30 days after receiving proof-of-loss statements for the insurer to conduct a bodily inspection of the property.
- Allowing insurers to make use of digital strategies to research losses. Such digital strategies might embrace any methodology that gives the insurer with clear, colour footage or video documenting the loss, together with, however not restricted to, digital images or video recordings of the loss, video conferencing between the adjuster and the policyholder which incorporates video recording of the loss, and video recordings or images of the loss utilizing a drone, driverless automobile, or different machine that may transfer independently or by means of distant management. The insurer additionally might enable the policyholder to make use of such strategies to help within the investigation of the loss. An insurer might void the insurance coverage coverage if the policyholder or every other particular person on the route of the policyholder, with intent to injure, defraud, or deceive any insurer, commits insurance coverage fraud by offering false, incomplete, or deceptive data regarding any reality or factor materials to a declare utilizing digital strategies. The usage of digital strategies to research the loss doesn’t prohibit an insurer from assigning a licensed adjuster to bodily examine the property.
- Requiring the insurer to ship the policyholder a replica of any detailed estimate of loss inside 7 days after the estimate is written by the insurer’s adjuster, eradicating the requirement that the policyholder first request a replica of the estimate.
Part 627.70131(4) has been amended to require insurers to keep up sure data, together with dates of:
- Any claim-related communication made between the insurer and the policyholder or the policyholder’s consultant;
- The insurer’s receipt of the policyholder’s proof of loss assertion;
- Any claim-related request for data made by the insurer to the policyholder or the policyholder’s consultant;
- Any claim-related inspections of the property made by the insurer, together with bodily inspections and inspections made by digital means;
- Any detailed estimate of the quantity of the loss generated by the insurer’s adjuster;
- The start and finish of any tolling interval offered for in subsection (8) of Part 627.70131; and
- The insurer’s cost or denial of the declare.
“Components past the management of the insurer” means:
- The Workplace of Insurance coverage Regulation issued an order discovering that every one or sure residential property insurers are fairly unable to fulfill the time necessities of the statute in specified places and ordering that such insurer or insurers might have further time as specified by the Workplace.
- Actions by the policyholder or the policyholder’s consultant which represent fraud, lack of cooperation, or intentional misrepresentation concerning the declare for which advantages are owed when such actions fairly stop the insurer from complying with any requirement of this part.
This definition of “components past the management of the insurer” is necessary as a result of it’s also used within the part requiring well timed cost of claims. The reformed statute now requires protection determinations inside 60 days:
(7)(a) Inside 60 days after an insurer receives discover of an preliminary, reopened, or supplemental property insurance coverage declare from a policyholder, the insurer shall pay or deny such declare or a portion of the declare except the failure to pay is brought on by components past the management of the insurer…. Any cost of an preliminary or supplemental declare or portion of such declare made 60 days after the insurer receives discover of the declare, or made after the expiration of any further timeframe offered to pay or deny a declare or a portion of a declare made pursuant to an order of the workplace discovering components past the management of the insurer, whichever is later, bears curiosity ….
Accordingly, the exception to the curiosity cost requirement has been restricted to situations the place the Workplace of Insurance coverage Regulation decided that there are components past the management of the insurer. An insurer can now not make that dedication. Nonetheless, the time necessities of Part 627.70131 are tolled if a policyholder or a policyholder’s consultant fail to supply materials claims data requested by the insurer inside 10 days after the request, if the request is made at the least 15 days earlier than the insurer is required to pay or deny the declare.
The time necessities are additionally tolled throughout any statutory mediation continuing of any different dispute decision continuing offered for below the coverage.
Deadlines for Discover of Claims
The Florida Legislature has once more amended Part 627.70132, which is relevant to each admitted insurers and surplus traces insurers and applies to claims arising from any peril. The amended statute reduces the time to report a declare or reopened declare from 2 years after the date of loss to 1 yr. The time to report a supplemental declare is diminished from 3 years after the date of loss to 18 months.
Pre-Swimsuit Discover Course of
The elements of Part 627.70152 pertaining to legal professional’s charges have been eliminated. The pre-suit discover and determination course of have in any other case been left intact.
Assignments of Advantages
On the finish of 2022, assignments of advantages to service suppliers shall be prohibited:
Besides as offered in subsection (11), a policyholder might not assign, in entire or partly, any post-loss insurance coverage profit below any residential property insurance coverage coverage or below any business property insurance coverage coverage as that time period is outlined in s. 627.0625(1), issued on or after January 1, 2023. An try to assign post-loss property insurance coverage advantages below such a coverage is void, invalid, and unenforceable.
This prohibition will apply to admitted carriers solely.
Breach of Contract Essential for Unhealthy Religion
Florida Statutes Part 624.155 permits claimants to file dangerous religion claims below first-party property insurance coverage insurance policies. Earlier than a claimant can file a foul religion swimsuit, the existence of protection and the extent of damages, the quantity of loss, have to be decided. Over the previous decade, quite a few Florida courts have held that an appraisal award is a enough dedication of protection and quantity of loss to allow a foul religion swimsuit. Subsequently, even when an insurer correctly issued cost below the phrases of the coverage, and had not been discovered to have breached any a part of the coverage, it might nonetheless face a foul religion swimsuit if an appraisal award resulted in any further cost to the insured. Consequently, value determinations have change into a preferred software for dangerous religion setups.
The Florida Legislature tried to repair this problem in its third spherical of reforms, however the language within the new Part 624.1551 was too imprecise as to what it means to determine a breach of contract. The Legislature has now changed Part 624.1551 with extra exact situations for asserting a foul religion declare in opposition to a property insurer:
624.1551 Civil treatment actions in opposition to property insurers.—
However any provision of s. 624.155 on the contrary, in any declare for extracontractual damages below s. 624.155(1)(b), no motion shall lie till a named or omnibus insured or a named beneficiary has established by means of an adversarial adjudication by a court docket of regulation that the property insurer breached the insurance coverage contract and a last judgment or decree has been rendered in opposition to the insurer. Acceptance of a proposal of judgment below s. 768.79 or the cost of an appraisal award doesn’t represent an adversarial adjudication below this part. The distinction between an insurer’s appraiser’s last estimate and the appraisal award could also be proof of dangerous religion below s. 624.155(1)(b), however shouldn’t be deemed an adversarial adjudication below this part and doesn’t, by itself, give rise to a reason behind motion.
With this modification, the Legislature has ended the “appraisal to dangerous religion” setup, and made clear a easy, cheap proposition—an insurer that has abided by the phrases of the insurance coverage coverage mustn’t need to defend a foul religion swimsuit.
Affords of Judgment
The Florida Legislature amended Part 768.79, the supply of judgment statute, to allow the making of joint presents which are conditioned on mutual acceptance. This modification eliminates the “spousal loophole,” which permits spousal co-plaintiffs, and different intently associated policyholders, to keep away from presents of judgment conditioned on their joint acceptance.
Submission of Claims to Appraisal as a Normal Enterprise Follow
The invoice amends Part 624.418, which offers grounds for the suspension or revocation of an insurer’s certification of authority, to incorporate situations the place an insurer, as a part of a basic enterprise observe, with out trigger, compels insureds to take part in appraisal with a purpose to safe full cost of their claims. Appraisal is a mechanism for resolving real disputes over the quantity of loss for a given declare, and the choice to invoke appraisal needs to be made primarily based upon the details and circumstances of a specific declare. This modification to Part 624.418 ought to alleviate considerations about appraisal getting used as a way for avoiding dangerous religion legal responsibility because of the breach of contract requirement added to Part 624.1551.
Flood Insurance coverage is Inspired
The Legislature amended the warning language required in house owner’s insurance coverage insurance policies that don’t present flood protection. As an alternative of advising owners that they “may want to think about” flood protection, the brand new disclaimer will advise policyholders that they “ought to contemplate” flood protection.
Obligatory Binding Arbitration Endorsements Licensed
The brand new regulation creates Part 627.70154, which codifies that insurers can problem elective necessary binding arbitration endorsements. The policyholder should signal a type electing binding arbitration, and the premium for the coverage should embrace an actuarially sound low cost for the necessary binding arbitration endorsement. However, insurers should additionally supply the policyholder a coverage that doesn’t require participation in necessary binding arbitration.
These statutory reforms turned efficient upon being signed into regulation by Governor DeSantis on December 16, 2022, which implies the modifications apply to insurance policies issued after that point. The amendments to Part 627.70131 take impact on March 1, 2023. As a result of the previous legal guidelines will apply to insurance policies which have already been issued, we anticipate a excessive quantity of litigation on older claims, and of claims for injury from Hurricane Ian and Hurricane Nicole. Following the third spherical of reforms, we noticed an uptick of litigation from assignees hoping to litigate below the older, extra favorable legal guidelines.
Assignments of advantages shall be prohibited on January 1, 2023, however this prohibition will seemingly solely apply to admitted carriers.
These reforms symbolize probably the most important modifications to Florida’s present Insurance coverage Code since its inception in 1982. Specifically, the elimination of legal professional’s payment awards has been on the radar of the Workplace of Insurance coverage Regulation for quite a lot of years now. These insurance coverage reforms profit each policyholders and insurers. Policyholders will obtain faster declare choices and funds, and insurers ought to finally see fewer abusive lawsuits. The Florida Legislature is encouraging immediate and open adjustment of claims, whereas discouraging attorneys and contractors from abusing the insurance coverage declare course of. We imagine these reforms can have a optimistic influence on the insurance coverage market in Florida, however it can take at the least a number of years earlier than we see the true influence of this laws on the amount of property insurance coverage litigation.
About The Authors